Discord is a well-known communication channel for gamers and is used by many gamers globally. It’s easy-to-use and manage the servers of Discord. Discord’s pretty powerful on its own, but there’s always room for adding new and better features. Eventually, everyone prefers their own customization rather than a set interface with some built-in functions. So, for the users to be able to customize their Discord servers, Discord has given them the option to add the bots to their servers.
Why does any one even need the bot? To add that little something to make your Discord different than others. The bots come for a variety of uses like hosting games and performing administrative functions. Bots can be helpful as well as displeasing, depending on their purpose, how they are designed, and also deployed. Discord provides users with many productive as well as not-so-productive features for the community.
Example, some bots play music on commands, some tell memes on request, and some give you the stats of the games. Some of them could be as useless as to play some loud air horn noise on the channel if invoked. So, there’s a range in a variety of functionality the Discord bots give us. And, it is super easy to add them, so you can try out multiple bots to see which one fits your requirements. Here are the steps on how to add the bot to your discord server:
WHETHER YOU HAVE THE SERVER OR NOT
If you already have the server
- First, and foremost, you need to check that you have the permissions for being able to add a bot. Only people with Administrative or the Manage Server permissions can invite the bot.
- To see if you have one of these roles, open the Discord client. Click on the server’s name on top, and then click on the Server settings tab.
- If you cannot see this tab, then the chances are that you don’t have the higher authority to add the bot. If you can, then click on the ‘Roles’ tab, and confirm whether you have the required permissions or not. Change them accordingly.
If you don’t have the server
- In this case, you will have to create the server. Setting up the server is the easiest.
- On the left panel, you can see a ‘+’ button.
- When you hover over that, you can see “Add a server”. Click on it, and you will find the option to join or create.
- Click on create, and then give your server a name and country.
- And, that’s it. You’ve just created a server. After creating the server, follow above mentioned instructions.
ADDING THE BOTS
There are abundant different bots that can be added. All the bots have different functionality, so it depends on you which one are you interested in adding.
Before adding the bot, you need to find the bot that you need to add. There are three places where you can go to search for the required bot: www.DiscordBots.org, www.Carbonitex.net – a repository of serious bots, is regarded as the best repository for the Discord bots and the GitHub repository which comprises of every existing bot www.github.com/discord-bot
Once you have found the right bot, it is time to add it to your server.
For this blog, I will be using Dyno as an example. I’ve posted a list of best discord bots in one of my previous blog posts.
- Visit www.DiscordBots.org and click on explore tags option. And, choose the one you find interesting and relevant for your server.
- Make sure the bot fits in your requirements.
- There are many bots available for you to choose.
- Find Dyno (or in your case, whichever bot you have chosen), and select the invite option.
- A new window will pop up which will add the bot to your server, click on Authorize.
- This is asking for the permissions, but these permissions can be changed afterward as well.
- And, then you’d have the dyno attached to your server. The procedure is similar for every other bot as well.
- Note to make sure that your email on discord is verified. If it is not, then you will not be able to authorize your bot to add it to the server.
Adding the bots using Github repository
If you found out a really cool bot on GitHub for your server, and you are very much interested in adding it to your server, then it is as simple as doing it from DiscordBot.org. In this case, you need a unique id which is also known as the client id of the bot that you are wanting to add to the server.
Steps to add the bot through GitHub are as follow:
Open your search browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari), and copy paste the following link into it.
If you have copied the link exactly like this, you are bound to get an error. This is because in the above link you have not edited the unique id of the bot that you are wanting to add to your discord server. Firstly, locate the bot ID. This id is found on the description page of the discord bot. Replace the part which says Bot_Client_Id with the actual one of the bot you want to add.
After the authorization process, you are done with adding the bot to your discord server.
Thus, these steps above can help you in adding the bot to the discord server. Adding a bot to your server can help you automate your tasks, and create entertainment as well. And, as you can see above, it is very easy to do. Within a few minutes, you can have your bot up and running.
Adding a bot to the server is a matter of a few clicks in some minutes. Your discord server would be just like your own robot- working on your commands. Make your customized dashboard on discord unique with different combinations of bots!